My recent experience with cancer.

Arrived at 1275 York Avenue at Memorial Sloan Kettering Hospital at 5 30 am, on Friday, May 10, 2019 for surgery for a cancerous left tonsil under the care of Ian Ganly, a distinguished doctor who specializes in this field. 

After being completely entertained by a charming male nurse named Jim, I was spoken to by a Chinese doctor who said he was part of Dr. Ganly's team.  He told me that he was going to cut my prostate out with a laser gun and asked if that was ok.  When that did not generate a reaction he told me again.  I then said that I was in the hospital for a tonsillectomy.  He laughed and said "I know.  I just joking."  He then asked me a series of questions regarding my health that took about 15 minutes.  He then explained what was going to happen.  Then at parting, he said he was going to cut my prostate out and starting laughing at his twice repeated joke. 

I never saw Dr. Ganly before the procedure.

When I woke up my tongue was in pain as well as the rest of my mouth and neck.  It was around 11 am or so I believe.  I was told by a nurse that I was being moved to the 19th floor of 1275 of the building - 1275 York -  that I was in.  It is an amazing floor with incredible rooms and I was delighted.  I was with my wife, Boin who took wonderful care of me for this whole event until she left at 9 45 pm to feed her dog and my son, Alex.  I also had a wonderful visit from my son, Walter, who is running my business now better than I ever did.  What a delight that he is there.

Lori Cohen has also been amazing coming through as she always does with over $500,000 in sales last week.  Amazing and thank you Lori. 

And Alison Petretti keeps everything in excellent order and is wonderfully supportive always.  Thank you.

Erik Brocket - your constant "can do" reaction to my requests is deeply appreciate.

And Mike Foley your legal support and substantial sales are deeply valued and appreciated. 

Thank you Barbara for always accomplishing the framing tasks at hand!

And Becky - we would be nothing without your many skills.  Thank you.

Dimo - your mentoring of Abigail, my wonderful youngest daughter, has been a godsend to our family.  Thank you

Michal - your skills are deeply valued and so is your integrity. 

I NEVER saw a doctor that day but a number of nurses told me that the pain in my tongue was a biopsy that was taken to test for cancer.  Knowing well of the great reputation of Dr. Ganly my assumption was that he saw something that would necessitate taking out a part of my tongue to test for cancer.  I worried about cancer of the tongue with great intensity from around 3 pm, May 10 to 7 am the next morning, May 11, 2019, when I was finally spoken to by a woman doctor who said that there was a "slip" with the laser gun and that is why my tongue was lacerated.  She told me that the tongue would heal in a few days and that the stitches would fall out.  She said that a mistake had been made but she did not say which doctor made the mistake. I told her that I was greatly relieved that I did not have cancer of the tongue.  She shook her head up and down in what appeared to be agreement. 

I NEVER saw Dr Ganly or the Chinese Doctor who spoke to me before the procedure at any time after the operation. 

I still dont know how the operation went because the doctor that I met on Saturday morning May 11 around 7 am said she was part of many teams and that she did not just work solely with Dr. Ganly.

My current plan is to make a $10,000 donation to Dr. Ganly's research fund in the hope that I will get the "A" team to help me out.  I do have the sense that Dr. Ian Ganly is seriously overworked and has many, many cases far, far more serious than mine. 

The reason for this first donation is that so far this whole event has only cost me $32.10 with all the insurance that Tom Quinn, my CFO, has brilliantly bought for me.  It is just plain dumb in the extreme to think that all patients get the same treatment with the epidemic of disease with our aging population.   I have already seen 8 doctors at Memorial Sloan Kettering in preparation for this issue and it is not realistic to believe that $32.10 is going to get me decent care no matter how much insurance I have. 

Thank you to Dr. Orrin Lippoff who insisted that I have my swollen glands biopsied for over 2 months in the face of Dr. Feltheimer's of Columbia University Medical Center dismissive reaction when I questioned him about this many times and was told over a phone call with him that I did not have cancer.  You saved my life for sure Orrin.  With a recorded scan performed by Columbia University, Dr. Feltheimer's diagnosis was just wrong and you were right.   Thank you.

Thank you to Dr. Mike Solar for immediately giving me 3 tests for my heart to get me permission for an anesthesiologist to put me under for the procedure.  You and Orrin set this up on a day's notice.  Thank you. This was necessitated because a Russian woman - possibly a doctor - at Memoral Sloan Kettering didn't like something about my EKG administered there but I couldn't understand her broken English other than to know that she was canceling my operation what was supposed to have occurred last Saturday, May 3 with Dr. Ganly.  She said I had to be tested before the operation could occur.  You came through in a remarkably short period of time - a day!!!!!

Thank you to Dr. Michael Stubblefield for getting me in to see Dr. Ganly when I first found out that I had cancer.  Unfortunately, my body may well have been used for practice with the Chinese doctor who lacerated my tongue and caused me a great deal of worry and pain.  I just dont know but I would like to know.  Maybe you can find out?  Your influence was considerable and is appreciated.  Is there some way you can find out how the operation went and if more cancer was discovered and to keep my relationship with Dr. Ganly as strong as possible. I want to continue with him for sure. 

At this point I need to find out how to get the attention of the obviously severely overworked Dr. Ganly.  Is $10,000 too small an amount to get proper care?  What do I have to do to get experienced physicians to work on my case?  As the effects of the drugs used to put me under wear off, I realize how very, very nieve I was to expect $32.10 to solve this problem.  Of this, I am totally convinced.  Anyone who suggests otherwise is an unsophisticated bumbler and someone that I don't want to hear from EVER.  The world is far, far too crowded for any other assumption to be credible. 

PLEASE dont call me under any circumstances.  My tongue and the rest of my mouth are in pain.  Emails please for the next three days at least. 


Comments