The example that my parent's Jewish friends gave to me growing up in Philadelphia.

The circle of my family's Jewish friends in Philadelphia showed broad relationships with their community.  Their children went on to invent NFL Films - Steve Sabol - and another became head of Comcast - Brian Roberts, Linda Johnson runs the Brooklyn Public Library.   and many, many others.   Some didnt do so well - Walter Annenberg's son killed himself while at Harvard.  Leonard Lauder's son who my father mentored while he was at Penn was fired by Leonard from Estee Lauder.  But on the whole 99% of these wonderful families passed on their values brilliantly. 

My mentor through my father was Lessing Rosenward who because of antisemitism gave the world's greatest collection of Old Master Prints to the National Gallery in Washington.  When it came time for the Goldschmidt family to sell Sesslers - the oldest bookstore on the East Coast - Phil Kline, their representative, sold to me for $200,000 and no one else was allowed to bid.  Wow.  What an honor to still have this business today after 40 years of ownership working with Lori Cohen who is a 30% owner today. 

And of course, there was Vivian and Pat Potamkin - the wisest collectors ever known to me and incredibly generous.  What a shining example of how to live one's life. 

I could go on for 1,000,000 more words.  There is nothing like it in any other part of American Society.  It was one of the many gifts that my parents gave to me - to see this wonderful world of respect, love of scholarship, devotion to motherhood, kindness and towering generosity.   A great gift and example for all Americans. 

Comments