Calder's only work in terrazzo, only sidewalk design, and perhaps only immoble sculpture rests between 1014 and 1018 Madison Avenue, directly in front of Arader Galleries. The beautiful 75 by 12 foot work is composed of black and white tiles running in complementing patterns that undoubtedly produce a visual delight for all passers-by.
The sidewalk was completed in 1970 and professionally restored in 2002 at a cost of $100,000 by the building owners from 1014-1018 Madison with the support of the Calder Foundation and NYC Landmarks Commission.
Calder stayed at the 1016 townhouse with Klaus and his wife (who were dealers of modern works) frequently during the height of his career, and the mark he left is not only on the sidewalk in front. Behind the townhouse lie a few creative sketches done by the old master:
And perhaps most remarkably, the strings he used while crafting his delicately beautiful sculptures continue to hang from the 5th floor ceiling, accompanied by untouched wall sketches that must be seen in person to truly be admired.