The stolen Wytfliet altas from the Nationa Library of Sweden is going to be returned and the Head of the National Library plans in August to do more on this matter.

Below is my letter to Gunnar Sahlin, the National Librarian of Sweden,  giving him an update on the disposition of the Wytfliet atlas stolen from the National Library of Sweden.   His letter to me follows where he give me an update on this plans for the future.


Thank you for your e mail Gunner.

YES, it is wonderful that Sothebys is involved.  I spoke to the distinguished head of the whole department yesterday - David Redden.   He said that Cathy Slowther, head of the map department at Sothebys London is now handling this matter.

He also made the POSSIBLE suggestion that it would be nice to have you come to London to possibly collect this book when all the administrative work has been done.  Sothebys will be losing 48,000 pounds on this and I will be losing the profit that I would have made - somewhere in the range of $100,000.   Sothebys is the ONLY auction house in the world that has these incredibly high standards and it is my feeling that this is a strong point for everyone to know.  THERE REALLY IS A DIFFERENCE and Sothebys actions should be praised.

We both have considerable interest in hearing what you are ACTIVELY doing to SHAME the auction house Ketterer Kunst into cooperating with you to find out the people who have been involved with the sale of the Wytfliet Atlas and any other books that may have been given to them by the manuscript librarian of Sweden eight years ago.

It is clear to me that the actions of Sothebys and myself demonstrate the correct way to act when a book is discovered to have been stolen and that Ketterer Kunst CLEARLY is using silly legal rubbish to avoid helping you so that they will not have to take a loss.  Sothebys did not hesitate for one minute while Ketterer Kunst has stalled you for eight years!

It is my hope that you will do whatever you can to retrieve ALL of your stolen books.

PLEASE BE VERY CERTAIN THAT IT WILL BE MY LIFE'S GOAL TO MAKE SURE THAT EVERY BOOK STOLEN FROM THE NATIONAL LIBRARY OF SWEDEN IS RETURNED TO YOU.

It is also my hope that you will make a much stronger effort to use all means possible to achieve the same goal.   It is my opinion that much, much more needs to be done by you.  Please do what you can to make me proud to be associated with you.   So far you have disappointed me by taking eight years to let anyone know about this serious loss.

Please excuse my strong words but the monsters that have been stealing books, maps and atlases from the great libraries of the world have mostly been able to get away with it.  They have ripped from my arms the wonderful but entitled clients that I could have had by offering them books for low prices that I have never been able to match.  My lust for vengeance consumes me.   I am obsessed and will not rest until every stolen book, map and atlas has been returned and the thieves and people who have worked with them have been punished.

I AM NOT GOING AWAY.

Firmly,

Graham



On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 1:46 AM, Gunnar Sahlin <Gunnar.Sahlin@kb.se> wrote:
Der Graham
Its positive that our matter with the atlas is running so well. It has been some articles in swedish newspaper about this "affair". It have been interviews with you and me, and the articles have been informative. In the beginng of August we are going on with other activities with the atlas and also with the whole list.
As you wrote in you mail its good news that Sothebys now are engaged in this matter. We are going to contanct them as soon as possible.
We keep in contact, and I send you information about what happens from our side.
Best regards
Gunnar

Comments