________________________Please do not hesitate to direct all comments, questions, and inquiries to grahamarader@gmail.com_____________________________

Thursday, January 5, 2012

A Brief Examination of The Jardin des Plantes in Paris in relation to Botanical Watercolors in the Arader Galleries Collection

The Jardin des Plantes used to be 'le Jardin du Roi', 'the King's Gardens', before the French Revolution. In the 17th C. Louis XIII and his younger brother le Duc d'Orléans, both great lovers of flowers but also of painting, encouraged the realization of the first botanical vellums and began the Jardin's collection. They first called upon the talented Nicolas Robert whose works still constitute the heart of the collection today. With the revolution, the King's private collection was made public property and in 1793 his 'Jardins' became the national museum of natural history. Redouté was actually first taught IN the musée by Gérard Van Spaedendonck around that time.

Below are only two extraordinary examples from the Arader Galleries collection by each artist. Inquire to learn more about our inventory at grahamarader@gmail.com or 212-628-3668

Nicolas Robert (1614-1685)
Flowering cactus plant
Vellum size: 17 x 12 1/2 inches
Frame size: 27 x 22 1/8 inches
Watercolor on vellum with gold fillet
Paris, ca. 1670
$80,000.

 Pierre-Joseph Redouté (1759-1840)
Heliconia humilis (Lobster Claw)
Vellum size: 18 1/2” x 13”; framed size: 25 1/4” x 19 5/8”
Signed
Country of Origin: South America
$250,000

Literature: Marianne Roland Michel, The Floral Art of Pierre-Joseph Redoute, Exh. Cat., Bruce Museum (Greenwich, Connecticut, 2002), 77

Exhibitions: The Floral Art of Pierre-Joseph Redoute, Bruce Museum, Greenwich (2002); Kimbell Art Museum, Fort Worth, Texas (2002-2003) 

No comments:

Post a Comment