________________________Please do not hesitate to direct all comments, questions, and inquiries to grahamarader@gmail.com_____________________________

Thursday, February 2, 2012

What the Deport De La Marine stamp means on a map

> Dear Charles
> I woke up  this morning thinking: mon Dieu ! I never responded to  
> Charles. I am so sorry.
> I was happy to hear from you and discover that you were still in  
> Jackson. I still think fondly of the years spent there and often  
> wonder if anyone would remember us. Now I see you do! My sister  
> Dauphine lives in New Orleans and it is not impossible that I would  
> show up one day, be warned!
> About the map: I can understand your curiosity.
> Depot de la Marine means Ministere de la Marine which is now  
> included in the Ministere des Armees whose Archives are now in  
> Vincennes and various Archives Maritimes branches in the large  
> ports. I know the head of the Archives historiques des Armees in  
> Vincennes, Catherine Oudin, and also the head of the Archives  
> Maritimes de Brest, Marie Andree Guyot. Catherine could point you to  
> the right Archives maritimes  (Toulon rather than Marseilles) for  
> old inventories or articles about the collection that was dispersed  
> and of course to the right department in Vincennes for info on the  
> sale or even on the duplicates in Marseille (Toulon) and info on the  
> originals. One of the questions you will need to ask is if the  
> originals might be at the National Archives as the older archives of  
> the Marine were kept there. I don't know when the Marine collections  
> start in Vincennes.
> I don't know if this helps. You are probably much more advanced now  
> in your research and you know all this. If you have more questions,  
> please get back in touch.
> And if you ever come to Washington, please give me a call. I would  
> love to catch up with you.
> Regards,
> Marie
>
>Paul Cohen's comment to a client of mine that the stamp means "nothing" is disgraceful.
 
 
Brought the map to Paul Cohen because of the confusion over the description.  When I arrived Louis and Paul Cohen were discussing their experiences in Bhutan.  Both of them had spent time there and talked about how it was such a fantastic place to visit many years ago and now the crowds have taken a lot of the pleasure away from the experience.  Paul Cohen talked about his experiences biking through the area and asked me if I had ever been. When I mentioned that I had not visited that part of the world he was surprised that I had never been.  I did mention, though, that it seemed I had essentially missed the boat because of their previous comments. Upon introducing myself to Paul Cohen the focus switched back to the map and he seemed confused.  He suggested that he was unclear of the origins of the discrepancy between the map and its description tag and mentioned that a former colleague probably knew more about the matter. After some elaboration Paul suggested that the discrepancy was really of no consequence as it was just a matter of personal taste and an aesthetic preference.  There was an atlas sitting open in a display box and Paul took time to open the lid and explain that it was a fine example of an Ortelius Atlas of the Holy Land.  The conversation then turned to the condition of the map at which point Paul Cohen became particularly vague and seemed very unsure about how the map had been conserved, if at all, but did not claim to have been involved in restoring the map himself.  As the conversation was coming to an end Paul asked Louis somewhat incredulously what it was he wanted him to do.  It was clear that volunteering to refund the money had not immediatley occured to Paul Cohen and it was never offered during my time there.
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment