Why I am hosting a charity auction with Guernseys on December 5


Just wanted to give a quick further explanation of my view on my auction upcoming sale -
http://www.aradernyc.com/guernsey-arader-auction-dec-5-2012/ and my give back program of 10% of the hammer price in cash and 15% for acquisitions to the selected beneficiary of the purchaser of each lot.

Basically there would be NO collecting today without great libraries and museums leading the way.  They create the interest with their curating, preservation, scholarship and exhibitions. 

Seems to me that some percentage of sales should go to institutions when there is an auction of works of art that are distinctly alluring because of museums and libraries.

My sale at Sothebys in 2009 raised over $1,000,000 with this idea and my goal on my December 5th event is $5,000,000 in gifts.

Without active support, libraries will fail and events like the vast theft of the library in Naples will occur more and more.  The REASON that the Naples library theft occurred is that they did not have support from their community and the money just was not there to hire good administration.  So a crook became the librarian and looted his own library.  He sold a great number of maps to a dealer in NYC who didn't ask the right questions and who now has to tell his clients that what he sold them was stolen.  In terms of due diligence he went down the wrong lan with a rudderman moral compass.

So to the extent that it is possible, legal and ethically correct any ideas you might have to help me with this concept would be welcome.

Of course it would be great to have you participate.

Please let me know if you would like a catalog of the sale.  All the artwork is up on view at 1016 Madison Avenue until the sale on December 5th.

Comments