Canford Headmaster Writes about my Gifts to Charity Auction


Dear Graham,

I am somewhat tardy also in expressing my thanks for your very generous support for our Canford Community Art event. We were sad you were not able to join us but I know you have had a busy summer. The open invitation I outlined in my letter to you in June remains very much open now and in the future. As Karen has said the event went extremely well and I have to confess that I took the opportunity to purchase two of the beautiful pieces you donated. My wife and I couldn’t resist  and they are currently being framed prior to taking a suitably prominent place on our walls. Should you be able to come and view them in situ as part of a Canford expedition at some point that would be wonderful. I know Barry was hoping you might make his Real Tennis reunion in a couple of weeks’ time. If you have a sudden desire to take to the court to battle with Barry and Guy then let me know and I will happily partner you, although my presence might be more of a hindrance than a help.

I thought you might like to know that we met with a gentleman called Nick Millea from The Bodleian Library today to discuss the William Smith map. I think they are going to look after and display it for us for a little while which is exciting. He was impressed when I said the concept of ‘sell or safeguard’ had come from you and that you were an OC. The plan will be that groups of pupils will visit Oxford to see the map and hear a talk about William Smith and the map. If they still have it in 2023 they are happy to have an exhibition including the map and we could hold a reception there as part of our centenary celebrations.

I do hope all else is running smoothly and thank you once again.

Kind Regards,

Ben

Comments