One of the most gratifying letters I have ever received from the head archivist at the University of Pennsylvania

Mr. Arader,

Thank you very much for your kind words regarding the article I wrote for the Germantown Crier.  For many years when I was doing research on Germantown that map fascinated me because there was almost no discussion of text on map in any the existing literature.  It was a wonderful journey to pull apart the information on the map and learn more about it in the process.  Unfortunately it was not until after the article was published that I learned Jack Asher owned the map.  Fortunately with Mark Frazier Lloyd’s assistance I was able to see the map once in Mr. Asher’s home.  It was truly amazing to see it in person.

I believe I have extra copies of the 1992 issue of the Crier.  I would be very pleased and honored to give one or two to you.  If you like I can mail them to your New York address.  If you have not already seen it, you might also take a look at my book Acta Germanopolis which has some slightly newer information regarding early Germantown which I learned since publishing the 1992 article.  The map provided a key piece of information regarding the early governance of Germantown prior to its 1689 charter.

Over the years I have heard much about your fine store on Walnut Street and always enjoy looking in the window whenever I pass by on my way to the HSP or other points in town.  It is a true Philadelphia institution and something all of us in the archival and rare book community admire.

Thank you,

Jim Duffin

Comments