The Racquet Club of Philadelphia - A Club you should join!

 Many of the richest families in Philadelphia have generously donated to preserve the Racquet Club of Philadelphia.  It is in a magnificent Horace Traumbauer building at 215 South 16th Street.  

During my youth when I played 600 hours a year there (I was ranked 4th nationally in college squash and #1 in college court tennis) it was the most exclusive club in the region and had exemplary services for a distinctly Christian membership.  I was a member from the age of 21 to 40 and then moved to NYC.

Clubs that keep members out for reasons of religion, sex, race can be terribly hurtful.  Most of my father's friends were Jewish and he made quite a name for himself by proposing Walter Annenberg for Membership in the Union League.   As a result he was turned down for membership at the Racquet Club because of his devotion to diversity.   Of course that was terribly embarrassing to me but I loved squash and court tennis and kept going there paying weekly as a guest from the age of 15 to 21.  But the memory of his rejection still stings at the age of 73. 

After I moved to NYC, the Club declined dramatically and after many years a very few, generous men made the decision to save the club.   Most of the employees are black and there is a distinct focus on helping people under the poverty line.  The heart of the club is magnificent which means a great deal to me.  The playing facilities are the finest in the United States.  This is now a club that is beautiful in every way and just perfect for right, inclusive thinking for the 21st century. 

4 years ago, I rejoined again after making a 25m investment in magnificent homes on substantial acreage in Montgomery County.   These properties are selling for less than a 1 bedroom apartment in NYC.  The drive to Philadelphia is 20 minutes.  I have planted over 3000 conifers over 10 feet high during that time.  Unusual tree collecting is my #1 hobby and Upper Merion Township, Montgomery County has the best soil for growing trees in the Western Hemisphere.   So I rejoined the Club even though I dont live there. 

The membership now is diverse with a strong emphasis on 30 to 60 year old men and women.   My son, Alex, just won the Club Squash Championship and we went to the award ceremony. 

The room was filled with diverse, successful men and women that were engaged and having a great deal of fun.   The presentations were brilliantly performed.

And the best part is that one of the most generous donors hit on my 60 year old wife.   What a wonderful compliment to this perfect woman who still is one of the great beauties of all time.

If you have any interest in joining, please let me know and I will help you and give you $200 toward your first year's membership dues.

Graham Arader
grahamarader@gmai.com  

Comments